In our example, all employees of a corporation require the same information; therefore it is more economical to store it on a network drive rather than a local drive, which can only be accessed by the user of that computer.
What is the definition of Network mapping?
Network mapping is the process by which physical as well as virtual network connectivity is discovered and visualized. This is done through a set of interrelated tasks that help in the formation of a network map, such as flow charts, topology detection, network diagrams and device inventories. It is aimed at the conception of visual aids and resources that could be used for a variety of purposes, such as network maintenance.
Network mapping has evolved into a study of computer science, and continues to rise in importance with the growth of complex and dynamic networks as well as cloud computing.
Network mapping basically studies the physical connectivity in networks, for example the Internet. Network mapping uses techniques to discover devices on a network and their connectivity.
Network mapping systems make use of active probing methods in order to collect information about the network by deploying probe packets that jump from node to node. These probes bring in information to the system along with the IP address and other technical details. In large networks, for example, the Internet, this probe is limited to gathering general information that is non-confidential, publicly available.
Network mapping systems assist network administrators, or NA, in visualizing and breaking down intricate and multi-faceted networks into smaller and manageable parts. This helps the NA in analyzing and viewing the network, checking for errors in connection and finding the details that facilitate the root cause analysis of an issue. By utilizing the active monitoring module of a mapping system, administrators can track real time network changes. This is very useful for Internet service providers as well as network providers and anyone who operates a complex network.
What is a Drive? Types of Drivers?
A drive in a computer is a location that stores information; this information is not removed easily. All drives in your computer store files and programs that may be used by the computer.
- Local drive: A local drive is an internal or external drive that is directly connected to your computer. These drives, by default, can be accessed only by your computer.
- Network drive: A network drive is the drive that can be accessed only over a network. This drive is available only by entering the network path.
- Mapped drive: A mapped drive is a network drive that is allotted a drive letter. For instance, you can map a network drive to the H: drive in Windows. Having done this, when you look for available drives, you’ll see the H: drive that looks like other drives on the computer. Opening the H: drive would allow you to access the network path.
Mapping a Network Drive in Windows 10
Windows 10 is the version of the operating system succeeding Windows 8.1, launched in 2015. It comes with an array of new features and new interface and many might find it difficult to navigate and work with the operating system.
It is quite easy to create a shortcut to another drive or folder that is shared on your network by mapping. If you map a network drive, it shows as a new drive under This PC in File Explorer on your computer. This enables you to quickly access any shared files that are needed, similar to how a local hard drive works.
If you can’t map network drive windows 10 and need some help, you have come to the right place. You can follow these steps and learn how to create network map windows 10 without having to manually look for a drive or type the address every time you want to access a drive.
- Turn on Network Discovery: The first step is to turn on network discovery so that your computer can detect other available computers on the network. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Settings and go to “Network & Internet -> Sharing Options.”
- Under the “Network Discovery” section, choose the “Turn on network discovery” option.
- Select “Save Changes.”
- File Explorer: The second step requires you to create a network map for win10 using the File Explorer.
- Open “File Explorer” and click on “This PC”.
- Select the computer tab, and click on “Map network drive” and then click on “Map network drive.” (You will find this option under the Computer tab, which should open automatically when you go to This PC)
- Assign a letter to represent the drive folder from the list. Click on browse.
- Select the folder to be mapped, and click on OK.
- Click on “Finish”.
It is important to note that you can choose to reconnect at signing or to connect using different credentials.
When you have completed this step, you will see that a new drive appears each time you navigate the PC in the File Explorer. You will be able to view network map windows 10 and access this drive.
Alternative Step 2 Command Prompt
There is an alternative method to achieve network mapping windows 10. This method involves using the command prompt. The following are the steps to network map in Windows 10:
- Open command prompt. In order to open command prompt, you can simply type .cmd and press the enter key in the Run window.
- Next type this command:
net use x: \\computer name\sharename
The “x” represents the name you want to allot to the shared folder.
- You can insert some additional features by slightly modifying the above command. Using this command, you can add some parameters:
net use x: \\computer name\sharename /user username password
- If you do not save the drive, it will no longer exist when you shut down the computer and then restart it. To avoid this, use the following command to make the drive permanent:
net use x: \\computer name\sharename /P:Yes
If you want to delete a drive, you can use the following command:
net use x: /delete
If you wish to delete all mapped drives, you can use this command:
net use * /delete
Why should you consider mapping a network drive?
You don’t need to map network drive using IP address windows 10. It’s a fairly easy process requiring little expertise. And there are several benefits of mapping a network drive, both for home computers and for office computers. It is quite easy to access files from your local hard drive of your computer, but accessing files on another hard drive may be complicated. It may involve you to extract the files from another computer on an external hard drive or pen drive and then transfer those on your computer. It can be a cumbersome process and involves a certain amount of risk and mishandling of data. Mapping a network drive is a way of solving this problem.
Mapping your drives simply means that you create a shortcut to a drive or folder on your network. This means that the mapped network drive will be displayed under “This PC” in the File Explorer and you can access files on a different computer.
The following are some basic advantages of mapping a network drive:
- Easy Access: Mapping a drive network allows you to access the mapped drive economically and quickly, using the “My Computer” interface. This is similar to how you would access a local drive. It eases the performance of tasks using the drives and the user need not use any special techniques and processes that he may not be familiar with.
- Consistency: A mapped drive network remains in your computer indefinitely. This allows you to access a remote drive whenever you want to; saving the hassle of reconnecting each time you turn on your computer. If you try to access a mapped drive whose server computer is turned off will return a simple error message, however your mapped drive will be intact.
- Network Setup: This is very useful for casual computer users who may not be familiar with technical naming convention systems for remote drives. Using a mapped network drive, you can use windows 10 view network devices without being familiar with technical formalities of the procedure. The network administrator can simply set up the mapped network for the users and they can simply access the files as and when required.
As you can see, mapping network drive Windows 10 is a really basic process that has several benefits when you have a network of computers that need to constantly share information.