It would interest you to know that your router has more than one IP address. Are you surprised to learn that? You shouldn’t be. Routers are made of a private IP address and public IP address. A private IP like its name denotes is the one that is used locally which other devices on the router uses to connect.
Another thing you should note is that all devices on your router is automatically given private IP addresses. What this means is that your router can generate as many private IP addresses as possible. On the other hand, your public IP address is the one non-exclusively provided by your network provider once you are connected to the internet.
No wonder therefore your public IP address can be viewed by anyone on the internet. It is why it is called public. Private IP address cannot be viewed by anyone on the outside, except by neighborhood hackers nosing around your computers.
There are many reasons why having you router’s IP address is very significant. Above all, nothing can be done on your router without the IP address of your router.
Modem IP address
Locating your modem IP address is quite easily. All you have to achieve that is enter some command prompts. Many people find it hard because they do not know how to go about using the command prompt.
- First, launch your Windows start button and enter ‘cmd’ to open your computer’s command prompt.
- In the command prompt windows, enter “ipconfig /all” and tap the “Enter”. That would take you to a next page.
- On this page, find the Default Gateway as the IP under it is your modem IP address.
Wireless IP address
- Go to the settings on your computer then select Network and Internet.
- On the left menu panel on the page, click on wifi.
- And then Advanced Options, you should see your IP address close to IPV4 Address.
How to find router IP address mac
- Open the System Preferences on your Apple computer.
- Then select Network under the Internet & Wireless button.
- Select the network you are connected to and on “Advanced”.
- Afterward, select “TCP/IP” That would show you your IP address on your mac.
How to find wifi ip address on android
- Open your Settings, then proceed to Network & Internet.
- Click on Wifi, then gently tap on the Wireless network’s name that you are on.
- The next page will show you all the details related to the wifi. There you would get the main router access ip address in front of Gateway.
Router username and password
To know your router username and password, check the manual credentials of your router. Or better still, check the manufacturer’s website or our website ModemFriendly home page. Your router should come with a default username and password. Most routers have “admin” for both the default username and password.
Recover router username and password
- Recovery your router’s username and password is easy.
- After you have logged in to your router’s settings, make sure you activate the recovery option.
- Any time you will to carry out a recovery, provide answers to the security questions you are asked and that completes the recovery process.
Importance for knowing your router’s Ip Address
Many people have always asked why the need for an IP address. There are so many reasons why your IP address is very important.
- Accessibility: One, your router’s IP address gives you access into the route’s settings page. That means without the IP address, there is definitely no way you can access the settings of your router and make some very important configurations. Most routers IP addresses are used to enter into the login page of the router. Sabai OS router use IP address like 192.168.199.1. Other routers use IP address such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. That is to very well tell you that IP addresses are very important. What is the need of having a device when you do not have access to it? That is indeed very tragic!
- Performing configurations: Also, routers cannot do without IP addresses because you have to go through them to perform an essential configuration to the default IP for IoT devices or other computers that may want to connect to the router. You do not have a total control on your device if you cannot carry out configuration on it. Devices connecting to your router need to have an IP address which can only be configured on your router’s control panel. However, you will need to still have your router’s username and password to proceed into the main C Panel.
- For troubleshooting: Also, the router’s IP address can be called upon when troubleshooting is needed for your router. Sometimes, we soon run into minor issues on our router than we need a quick fix on our router to immediately solve the issue by troubleshooting. Troubleshooting cannot therefore be done without access to your username and password.
- Total control: The idea of having a total control over your router can only be achieved when you have your router’s IP address. Anything could go wrong and you would not be able to fix it because your IP address is not just known.
- For connectivity: Remember we mentioned that your router’s issues static IP addresses to devices connecting to it? So, in the case that your router’s IP devices is not known, it would be hard to monitor the IP address your router is issuing out.
- For security reasons: Knowing your router’s IP address is also very germane if you want to maintain not just a close control on your router but also some very strict security measures. Know that your router has two types of IPs naming Private IP and Public IP? It is good to know both so that you easily identify either of them in any situation, especially in a situation when your Public IP is being displayed over the internet. Knowing your public IP will help you easily detect if your public IP is being hijacked or cloned by hackers online for some nefarious activities.