Are you struggling to find your router’s IP address? Do you want to recover your router’s username and password, but can’t figure out how? Well, look no further. Below are five easy steps that will help you in this regard and also help you in modifying security settings for your Internet connection. Before we jump into the steps, let us try to understand the meaning of IP address. It is a string of numbers (usually 4 strings of numbers) segregated by dots that uniquely identifies every computer using the Internet Protocol to interact with other devices over a network. In other words, an IP address is a unique address for your computer so that the Internet knows where to send your important data like emails, pictures of your family, and professional documents.
FOLLOW THESE 5 EASY STEPS…
- Click on http://192.168.1.1 or type in 192.168.1.1 as the URL in your web browser’s address bar.
- If you get an error or you a blank page, then, it implies that 192.168.1.1 is not your router’s address. You need to find out your IP address on the Internet. To do so, check the sticker pasted on your router’s base which has the address written on it along with the default username and password of the router. If you can’t locate the sticker, google your router model on the web browser and find its address online.
Now the way to find out your router’s IP address also depends on the kind of device or platform you are using.
Steps given below will guide you in finding out the IP address via various operating systems/devices:
Go to search and type ‘cmd‘ to open the command prompt. Type ‘ipconfig‘ on the screen once the black window appears in front of you. Go through the displayed result and look for default gateway address.
The easiest steps for verifying your router’s IP are as follows:
- Click on Apple icon (on the topmost left corner of your screen)
- Select ‘System Preferences’
- Click on ‘Network’
- Choose the appropriate network connection
- Select ‘Advanced’ button
- Press the ‘TCP/IP’ menu to view the IP address on the right-hand side of the router
Follow the steps in order:
- Go to: Applications
- Go to System Tools
- Click on Terminal
- Type ‘ipconfig’ on the black screen that appears in front of you.
- The router’s IP address will be mentioned next to ‘inet addr’.
Follow the steps in order if you are a iOS9 and iOS8 user:
- Go to Settings
- Go to WiFi and select your wireless network that is the one you are currently connected to
- Go through the DHCP area to identify your router’s IP address
There is some third-party application known as Wi-Fi Analyzer, which is the simplest way to figure out IP addresses for Android users. You must first download the application to proceed further. After downloading the app, click on ‘View’ menu, then select ‘AP list’. You’ll observe Connected to: Desired Network Name. Once you click it, a window will appear displaying the information of your network, consisting the IP address of your router.
Follow these simple steps to determine your IP address:
- On the taskbar of your browser, press the notification area
- Then, click on ‘Connected to: [Network Name]’ from the list that appears on your screen
- Choose the name of your wireless network
- Next, click on the ‘Network’ tab to display the results, including the IP address of your router
- Once you know your router’s IP address, type it out in the address bar of your web browser. It will direct you to the login panel where you can enter the username and password for your router.
- In case you don’t remember the username and password, you can recover them by following the steps given below. Also, if you haven’t changed the default credentials of your router that come with it, you can enter the username and password written on the sticker (mentioned in step 2) or you can google the same by entering your router brand and model name in the browser. Most of the times username is ‘admin’ and password is also ‘admin’.
- If you haven’t changed the default username and password of your router (given in the sticker), you can directly enter the same credentials (as explained in step 4 above).
- To generate a brand new username and password, you need to reset the router. Resetting a router to factory settings allows you to restore its default username and password. The reset button on the majority of routers is small and can be difficult to locate. It is usually present on the side or at the back of your modem. Hold this button for 10 seconds to reset the router. One might need a pencil or a matchstick to press it. After the button is released, it takes about two minutes for the router to restore its default factory settings.
Tip: You can read more on our website ModemFriendly homepage we explain routers and modems configurations..
Forwarding ports without a password:
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enabled routers are a special kind of routers that directly forward ports without requiring any password. Let us first understand what UPnP is. It is a set of networking protocols for networked devices such as personal computers, Internet gateways, printers, mobile devices, Wi-Fi access points, etc. that helps them in discovering each other’s presence on the network. It also enables them to establish functional network services for exchanging data, enabling communication, and promoting entertainment. UPnP is meant essentially for residential networks without enterprise-class devices. Routers that are UPnP enabled, allow applications to open the required ports automatically. If you want to forward ports of your choosing, you need to use UPnP PortMapper. It is a highly complex procedure as compared to the others mentioned above, and thus difficult to implement for beginners.
- Once you are in the admin portal, you can easily modify all the internet settings and router configurations.